Why I’m McLovin’ Grey’s Anatomy

McLovin’ Grey’s Anatomy? You Bet!

I’ve reignited my obsession with Grey’s Anatomy over the last week. *Squee!*

Season 12 has hit Australian TV airwaves and I’m back in the Grey’s Groove.

Not content to just watch one new season episode per week, I’ve dragged out the Grey’s Anatomy DVD box set and am systematically working my way through Seasons 1-11.

I can hear Hubby audibly groan when he comes into the living room to find me engrossed in yet another episode.

Sorry Hubs, I’ve got a ways to go! #BetterStartGettingUsedToIt!

Here’s why I’m McLovin’ Grey’s Anatomy:

McDreamy, McSteamy, McHottie, McMajor = McYummy!

Need I say more?

It’s probably the same reason I tuned into Chicago Hope and ER all those years ago. A young George Clooney in E.R *swoon!* and Mark Harmon in Chicago Hope.

The eye candy reels me in every time.

My personal hospital McYummy ratio has not been as high as Grey’s but there have been a couple of standouts.

The Registrar who looked after me when I was first hospitalised all those years ago was H.O.T! Not to mention really good at his job, which is kind of important when you are critically ill.

It was a shame that my attempts to strike up a flirty conversation with him were thwarted by my paralysed facial muscles and slurred speech.

He also told me (in jest) that, “If you were a horse we would have shot you by now, Bree,” which doesn’t really bode well for future romantic prospects, now does it?

Guess I’ll just have to live vicariously through my favourite TV show! Good thing Hubby isn’t the jealous type. *wink wink*

Grey’s Anatomy provides perspective.

My medical problems look really good compared to the vast majority of cases storylined on Grey’s.

I come away thinking I don’t have it too bad after all!

Grey’s Anatomy is relatable.

Yes, really.

Ok, so the main characters seem to have experienced more tragedy and heartache in 12 years than most people would see in a lifetime, but they are still relatable, at least to a certain extent.

Grey’s is raw and real, “dark and twisty,” (a’ la Meredith Grey) and its Creators don’t sugar coat the bad stuff.

“Just when we think we’ve figured things out, the universe throws us a curveball. So we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way, sometimes it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong.”

– Meredith Grey, ‘White Wedding”

We can all understand what it’s like to lose a loved one; experience disappointment in a career; get really, really sick (oh boy, do I ever!); and navigate the tricky path of love and life, with all its highs and lows.

To see people equalised in such a way on a TV show is humanising.

Where else can you find so many fab and funny plays on the ‘Mc’ name?

The only other TV show to rival Grey’s ‘Mc’ labelling would be NCIS.

Poor McGoo, whoops(!) I mean McGee, has many plays on his McName by his lovable colleague DiNozzo…McBarfbag, McByte, McBackstabber, McProbie…thank goodness for endless ‘Mc’ entertainment!

When it’s all said and done, I just can’t get enough of Meredith and Co.

Grey’s has that perfect combination of drama, tragedy, romance and comedy, wrapped up in a (largely) realistic bow.

Looks like my Grey’s Anatomy addiction is here to stay! #SorryNotSorry

Do you have a love affair with Grey’s Anatomy or other TV medical dramas? Share in the comments below!

Like this post? Then share it!

Photo Credit: Pixabay

All photos and content the property of Starbrite Warrior and Bree Hogan. Not to be reproduced without permission.

62 thoughts on “Why I’m McLovin’ Grey’s Anatomy”

1. Joce says:

I LOVE Grey’s Anatomy! I did not watch it until last year, with so much catching up to do I was glued to my screen for weeks! I was worried I wouldn’t like the newest season but I still love it!

1. Bree Hogan says:

You had an epic Grey’s Anatomy fest Joce, that must have been so much fun! I’m re-watching Season 10 right now, loving it!

2. I’ve actually never watched it! I’ve heard so many good things but I’m not much for dramas. I just may need to watch a few of season one to see if it reels me in!

1. Bree Hogan says:

Ooooh, you’ve definitely gotta watch a few episodes of Season 1 Joscelyn! But be warned…you just may be addicted!

3. Neely says:

So people totally make fun of me for still watching it but I can’t not!

Ignore those people Neely! Grey’s is awesome! 🙂

4. Gah, I love Greys so much!! I’ve written a few posts on what I’ve learned from Friends and Sex and the City, but I think Greys will be the next one! 🙂

1. Bree Hogan says:

Grey’s definitely deserves a post from you, Cassie, there is much learning to come from watching it! See how easy it is to justify television viewing…*giggles* 🙂

5. Alyssa says:

I think I’m the only person I know who still watches Grey’s – but it’s SO good!

Alyssa

1. Bree Hogan says:

It is everyone else who is missing out on TV medical drama awesomeness, Alyssa, not you! 🙂

6. Angie says:

Haha, I’m watching this right now as I read this post!

1. Bree Hogan says:

Nice one Angie! I sometimes multitask when watching back episodes of Grey’s that I have seen a few times. I can’t do it with the new season as I don’t want to miss anything.

7. Hil says:

I love Grey’s too! I am actually watching this weeks episode right now! Luckily my husband enjoys watching it with me. I also loved House, but ER was my favourite. I used to be the only kid in grade 6 able to discuss the previous nights ER with my teacher the next day!

You should come link up at our Bloggers Spotlight party, we pin everything to our group board and have two separate link-ups, one for posts and one devoted to pins so you get even more exposure!

1. Bree Hogan says:

Hi Hil! I watched this week’s episode too, I thought it was good – especially the scene with Riggs and Hunt in the operating room – but not as good as the prior week. The previous episode was a tough act to follow! I never really got into House but I loved ER.

Your Bloggers Spotlight is a great initiative and I have linked up in the past. Thanks for the reminder 🙂

8. Amanda says:

Never seen the show before but it must be good since so many people watch it and it’s been on so long.

1. Bree Hogan says:

I love it Amanda! It’s currently on its 12th season so yup, it definitely can’t be too bad. 🙂

9. Christy F says:

I love Greys! I’ve been watching it since it first came out when I was in Middle School! Was one of the first shows past 9pm that my parents allowed me to watch! I’ve always been a big fan!

1. Bree Hogan says:

Lol, it was ER for me that my parents allowed me to stay up past my bedtime for Christy! I’m loving the fact that Grey’s has started back up again after the Summer break. Yay!

10. Brianne says:

I’ve been bing-watching Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix, and love it! I haven’t started season 12 yet, but I’m completely obsessed!

1. Bree Hogan says:

How good is binge-watching Grey’s, Brianne?! I’m pretty much doing the same thing now as I re-watch all the old seasons. It’s on quite a bit at the moment. *sheepish grin*

11. Aishwarya S says:

Grey’s Anatomy is my favourite show ever!! I just can’t stop watching. And it actually is relatable. I saw S12E10. And I could so relate to “I can live alone. But I don’t want to.” Glad to know that people love Grey’s out there! 🙂

1. Bree Hogan says:

Very true Aishwarya! S12E10 was very poignant in the scene where Meredith says, “I can live alone. But I don’t want to.” I’m sure many people can relate to that!

12. Courtney says:

I’ve never actually watched Grey’s but my cousin is always telling me to! Maybe I should dive in!

1. Bree Hogan says:

You should totally dive in and watch a few episodes of Grey’s, Courtney. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself hooked!

13. Amber says:

I enjoy the show too. I’ve been watching since the beginning.

1. Bree Hogan says:

Me too Amber! Often I would have bailed on a show by now – 12 seasons after all! – but not gonna happen with this one!

14. Lisa says:

I got on the Grey’s train really late, like 7 seasons late. But I’ve been obsessed ever since. The current season (idk what season we are even on) premiere was so intense. I loved it.

1. Bree Hogan says:

Better late than never Lisa! Grey’s always manages to deliver on season premieres, it’s what makes it so good! We are up to Season 12 🙂

15. Meredith says:

I used to love that show, but got away from it for some reason! This has inspired me to have a Netflix binge!

1. Bree Hogan says:

You definitely need a Netflix Grey’s Anatomy binge Meredith!

16. Donnica says:

Every time I mention Grey’s Anatomy, I feel like people go: “That’s still on?” Uh yes, because it’s fantastic. My friend was visiting last month and was a little behind so of course I suggested we binge watch.

1. Bree Hogan says:

That was the only course of action you could take, Donnica – she can’t be left behind on Grey’s so binge watching was a must! She is lucky to have you as a friend 🙂

17. I love Grey’s. I’m probably one of the few people that still watches. I binge watched the first 10 or so seasons on Netflix a while back then started watching live. Although I like the earlier seasons a lot better I’m still hooked.

LiveLifeWell,
    Allison

1. Bree Hogan says:

Lol, Allison, Binge watching Grey’s seems to be a common theme on here. I love it! I think my favourite seasons have been more in the middle, say from around Season 6 onwards. Great characters!

18. I used to follow the show religiously and then babies came in to the picture! I can’t wait to finally have time to catch up on the show again. Thanks goodness for Hulu!

1. Bree Hogan says:

I’m guessing binge-watching Grey’s to catch up is probably out of the question for you with young bubbas, Amber. But never fear – you get to savour the experience by stretching it out!

19. Alex says:

I have followed this show since my college days. Last week’s new episode was awesome and cannot wait for tonight! Grey’s is the best!

1. Bree Hogan says:

Yup Grey’s is the best! Did you watch S12E10 Alex? What did you think?

1. Alex says:

Not yet! I’ll be loading my DVR tomorrow after work to see it. Im excited to see her finally “reacting” to the incident! What did you think of it?

20. I have never really been into this series. I have so many friends who are and I watched one or two here and there. I might just need to revisit that.

Yes, give Grey’s a second chance Mayra 🙂

21. A new episode just came back on this past week here in the US, too! I’ve been a fan since the beginning!

1. Bree Hogan says:

S12E10! I’m tuning in religiously Kristen!

22. I do too have a huge love for it. Like Thursday has officially become a “No blogging zone” for me (probably the only day of the week I pull that off slightly)
    It used to be just a night to myself but now me and my best friend friend take turns getting dinner and wine and have a whole girls night lol

1. Bree Hogan says:

Lol, Dia, when I first read your comment I thought you said a “No Bugging Zone” and I was thinking I LOVE this, I’m gonna tell my husband this when he tries to interrupt Grey’s! I laughed so hard! I need my eyes checked! I still love the concept of a “No Blogging Zone,” I definitely need to do this more myself. Grey’s Anatomy + Girls Night = Awesome Combination!

23. Angie Scheie says:

It’s funny, I watched Grey’s from the beginning but somewhere around Season 7 I stopped watching. Then last year I got hooked again! So I’ve been watching these last couple of years and love it. Now that Parenthood is done I have to have some show that makes me cry! lol.

1. Bree Hogan says:

Grey’s certainly has the ability to turn on the water works, doesn’t it Angie? I spent most of S12E9 blubbering and I shed a few tears in last week’s episode too.

24. Love this. I do love me some Grey’s!!! Huge fan!! Love the latest season. Cried my eyes out with the whole situation that happened to Meredith, like cried hard!! Haaa!!

XOXO,
    Angelle

1. Bree Hogan says:

I’ve lost count of the number of episodes I’ve wound up crying over, Angelle. Grey’s certainly seems to be able to turn on the water works!

25. Kate Anderson says:

I love Grey’s too 🙂

I know you do Katie! That’s why we are friends 🙂

26. Roxy says:

I am OBSESSED with Greys! I’ve laughed, cried….scratched that SOBBED, and experienced every emotion in between watching Greys. I am so invested in all of the characters’ storylines that it feels like I’m watching people I actually know. I was probably equally invested in The OC, Parenthood, Sons of Anarchy, Gossip Girl, Weeds, Desperate Housewives, and Breaking Bad (I’m a TV show junkie).

xo,
    Roxy

1. Bree Hogan says:

I’m with you Roxy! I’ve done the laugh/cry/sob/experience every emotion that comes with being a Grey’s Anatomy fan. It can be an emotional rollercoaster but it’s worth it!

27. Enjoyed reading your post, I love love love Grey’s Anatomy, probably one of my favorite shows. I like your sense of humor, made this a very entertaining read 🙂

1. Bree Hogan says:

Thank you Pam! I’m glad you enjoyed the post and yay for Grey’s!

28. Cherish says:

OK, this is a bit unrelated but if you love american culture and want a good laugh, there was a viral video called “McScuse Me”. I won’t link it and I’ll warn there’s profanity, but you did ask “Where else can you find so many fab and funny plays on the ‘Mc’ name?” LOL

1. Bree Hogan says:

OMG Cherish that did give me a good laugh!

29. Jenna says:

Love it 🙂 I was a huge fan of Grey’s Anatomy, but haven’t seen the latest season. I had to laugh when you mentioned the medical problems, it is always nice to see that my own medical problems really aren’t that bad 🙂

30. Oh gosh, I’ve been looking for a new show to blitz. I might have to do this one, as I have never seen an episode and you make it sound so good!

31. Rebecca says:

I’m currently marathoning Grey’s Anatomy too!
    All heart eyes for McSteamy overe here <3
    -Rebecca

1. Bree Hogan says:

Oh yeah Rebecca, Grey’s has the ‘McHottie’ card down pat! But they keep killing them off! 🙁

32. Candy says:

I use to each Greys all the time. Then I missed several will have to check it out again.